"Authoring tools are software and services that 'authors' (web developers, designers, writers, etc.) use to produce web content (static web pages, dynamic web applications, etc.). (...) ATAG is primarily for developers of authoring tools, including the following types of authoring tools:
- web page authoring tools, for example, what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) HTML editors
- software for generating websites, for example, content management systems (CMS), courseware tools, content aggregators
- software that converts to web content technologies, for example, word processors and other office document applications with "Save as HTML"
- multimedia authoring tools
- websites that let users add content, such as blogs, wikis, photo sharing sites, online forums, and social networking sites
ATAG and supporting resources are also intended to meet the needs of many different audiences, including policy makers, managers, and others."